Friday, March 18, 2011

Apple of My Eye

Well, it looks like I'm another Paper Crafts reject. I submitted a card for the clever canvas entries--I thought it was pretty clever (at least very punny).

Before I was making cards regularly, I used to make a lot of hair ribbons and hair clips. So, I decided to try and make korker ribbon out of canvas to make curly "hair." Since I couldn't find any websites that showed korkers out of canvas (I don't think they exist), I consulted my mom and her friends at a quilting retreat to get advice on how to cut the canvas into very narrow strips without shredding it (their take was to cut on the bias with a rotary cutter). With the right amount of fabric stiffener, it worked! Here are the results:

Aren't those canvas korkers cool? At least they look cool in person ;) I used ink to shade them, although you could dye them, too. These little mosters are from My Cute Stamps, the sentiment is from Lawn Fawn, and the apple card template is from Paper Smooches. The papers are from the new Neighborhood collection by Crate.


Above is a close-up of the canvas ribbons. It was pretty challenging to get them to lay flat enough...there are 3D adhesives under the body and regular glue dots under the hair, but the hair is still higher!

I love how the two monsters are holding hands! The sentiment is perfect for the one-eyed monsters, too.

This rejection was pretty disheartening since the card took a lot of thought and time to make. But, that's the way it goes. I'm going to take off the canvas "hair" and add some hearts now, which I think will look better :)

Thanks for looking!

Clear Stamps: (Eek! A Monster) My Cute Stamps; (My Silly Valentine) Lawn Fawn 
Inks: (Tuxedo Black) Tsukineko; (Warm Red) Clearsnap; (Petal Pink) VersaColor 
Cardstock: (Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush) Papertrey Ink 
Patterned paper: (Together and Chores from Neighborhood collection) Crate Paper; (Joy from Stella & Rose Mabel collection) My Mind’s Eye; (Love Letters from Be My Valentine Collection) We R Memory Keepers 
Pen: (Gelly Roll White) Sakura 
Digital element:  (Apple Card Template) Paper Smooches   
Fibers: (Satin Center Dot Red ribbon) May Arts 
Other: (canvas, wooden dowels, clothespins) craft supply; (Stiffen Stuff Spray fabric stiffener) Beacon

7 comments:

  1. oh heaven's sake this is too cure! I love the woodgrain for the stem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you never give up your quest to be printed in a magazine, your work is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW, Jocelyn! Your card is super adorable and amazing! I totally think it's pub-worthy!! I can totally see that it was a labor of LOVE! Please do not give up and sometimes...we just need to create for fun. Don't forget that,too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a Fab and cute card... love it...hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jocelyn, I am very disappointed for you because this is perfect and I just don't understand what they look for. I have never submitted, but when I see things like this get turned down it makes me second guess ever think about trying someday. Right now I am not able too due to my temporary living situation but my goodness this card of yours is fabulous!!! Please be very proud in your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I adore your card, Jocelyn! Those monsters and their polka-dotted bellies are just too cute! Really creative use of canvas, too! Your cards always make me smile! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs