Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Elephant in the Room

I am a huge fan of Moxie Fab World. Cath put out a challenge to get daring with decorative tape, and I thought I could get funky with tape.

Now for the inspiration. A couple of weeks ago, Carla Peicheff posted this elephant card~adorable! So many cards have butterflies and birds and monkeys, but not too many have elephants. Poor little elephants! I decided to champion for more elephants.

I have this cute stamp set from Technique Tuesday with a sweet elephant, and after staring at the stamp for a few minutes, I thought it would be cool to make a card based on the figurative saying "the elephant in the room." So I made a little room.

The process kind of reminded me of making a diorama in school...loved those things...wish I could make dioramas for a living...until I had to make 3 lamp posts and managed to cut my finger with a hack saw (no blood on the card, so it's okay!).

Here's the card:
 Isn't he cute? He was a pain in the neck to cut out, though. I love how it looks like his bottom is in the light. Aren't these Crate papers awesome?


Above is a close-up of the lamp and the decorative tape on the lamp and the rug. My sweet dad gave me Japanese washi tape for Christmas and a very cool dispenser from Design Within Reach (the coolest store if you like ultra modern stuff), and I've been dying to use the tape for more than, well, tape. I used the DWR washi tape wrapped around two tiny dowels to make the lamp post.

There is also beautiful Pink Paislee decorative tape as a rug. I cut and twisted the edges to make them look like rug fringe. There's even a little cat hair on one of the fringes...just like the real thing (or at least in my house).


I decided to do a little stitching on the top. I have no idea what it's supposed to look like in a room...maybe macrame? Every house needs a little macrame plant holder...

Thanks for looking! Have a fabulous day!

Here are the details on the card:
Stamp: Zoology (Technique Tuesday)
Cardstock: Vintage Cream (Papertrey Ink)
Patterned Paper: Restoration (Crate)
Ink: Tea Dye Distress Ink & Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink (Tim Holtz); Alpine (Crafter's)
Other: decorative tape (Design Within Reach; Pink Paislee); clear embossing powder (my stash); 1/16" dowels (my husband's stash); pinking shears; thread (Gutermann)


5 comments:

  1. WOW...This is just stunning.....Loved loved your card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jocelyn! Thanks for entering the Get Daring with Decorative Tape challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha that is super fun, I love your stitching. I love how you made the rug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, cute card! Great idea to fringe the end of the tapes to make a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute. I love the little scene you created!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs